Meghan C. Kane focuses her practice on trials involving complex business litigation matters, including toxic torts. She is national asbestos and toxic tort counsel for a leading provider of merchandise displays, refrigeration systems, and installation services to food retailers.
Meghan has experience in pre-trial, trial, and post-trial proceedings. She also has appellate experience in the Illinois Appellate Courts for the 4th and 5th Districts and the United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit. Meghan is a co-chair of Baker Sterchi's Product Liability Practice Group.
Examples of recent case results:
- Achieved a client dismissal after obtaining a court ruling that plaintiff was not entitled to conduct jurisdictional discovery against our client under Missouri law.
- Assisted with obtaining an appellate reversal of a $4.6 million jury verdict against product manufacturer in a toxic tort case alleging exposure to asbestos.
- Assisted with obtaining a defense trial verdict for a municipal police officer in a 42 U.S.C. §1983 action filed against him for alleged excessive force.
- Obtained a defense ruling in a bench trial on behalf of an insurance company where the plaintiff-insured had alleged roof/storm damage.
- USDC, Southern District of Illinois
- Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D. with Employment Law Certificate, 2011
- University of Missouri-Columbia, B.A. with honors, magna cum laude, 2008
Memberships & Activities
- Defense Research Institute
- Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee
- Women in the Law Committee
- Illinois Defense Counsel
- Vice Chair, Tort Law Committee
- Planning Committee, IDC/MODL Joint Seminar
- Madison County Bar Association
- "Ford Motor Company obtains a defense verdict in Rock Island County, Illinois", Midwest Toxic Tort Bulletin (June 2018)
- "Madison County asbestos case transferred to Adams County, Illinois based on forum non conveniens", Midwest Toxic Tort Bulletin (December 2016 )
- “Ethics in the Representation of Multiple Clients", Saint Louis Paralegal Association (October 2019)
Awards & Recognition
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, Belleville, IL
- Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants (2021-present)
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (2021-present)
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2022)
- Illinois Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2018-present
- Academic Honors & Activities
- Certificate of Recognition of Public Service, Illinois State Bar
- Association Young Lawyer/Law Student Division (2011)
- National Moot Court Competition Top 4 and Edwin L. Weisl, Jr. Bowl for Second Place Brief (2011)
- Judge Robert G. Dowd Sr. Appellate Advocacy Award (2010)
- Lewis F. Powell Jr. Appellate Advocacy Award (2010)
- Boys & Girls Club of Alton, Illinois - Volunteer
- Madison County, Illinois Legal Clinic - Pro Bono services